Derwent Inktense Lighfast pencils
Permanent when dry - doesn't wash away like watercolour. Intense vibrant colour. Suitable for use on fabric and other surfaces. Interested in trying out our Inktense pencils, blocks or paints ranges but you have some questions?
Read our FAQs below to find out more information on these amazing products.
- What products are in the Derwent Inktense range?
- How would you describe the Derwent Inktense products?
- Why should I buy Derwent’s Inktense pencils?
- Is Derwent Inktense pencils wax or oil-based?
- What size is the Derwent Inktense pencil core?
- How many colours are in the Derwent Inktense range?
- Are Derwent Inktense products dye based or pigment based?
- Are the Derwent Inktense pencils lightfast?
- Why do the Derwent Inktense Blocks and Derwent Inktense Pencils have different lightfast ratings?
- Is Derwent Inktense classed as an ink or watercolour product?
- Are Derwent's Inktense Pencils safe to use?
- Are Derwent Inktense Pencils gluten free?
- Is the Derwent Inktense full range vegan?
- Why is there a white pencil in the Derwent Inktense Pencil range?
- Why does the dipped end on my Derwent Inktense Pencil look a different colour to the pencil tip?
- What is the Derwent Inktense Outliner pencil?
- Can a small child use Derwent Inktense Pencils?
- How do I use the Derwent Inktense ranges on fabric?
- Can you grate the Derwent Inktense Blocks?
- Can I use Derwent Inktense Pencils with my other Derwent pencils?
- What sharpener should I use with Derwent Inktense pencils?
- What are the wells in the Derwent Inktense blocks tray used for?
We sell pencils, blocks and paint pan sets in the Derwent Inktense range. Please click here to view our Inktense collection.
Inktense is a pigment-based product that is extremely soluble in water, but has a transparent ink-like wash unlike a traditional watercolour. Inktense is also permanent when dry.
Our Inktense pencils are great for layering, have vibrant and highly pigmented colours, which dissolve instantly and become permanent once wet (pigment needs to be fully dissolved in water then left to dry to become permanent). You can create transparent washes of colour, with dark and light tones depending on the amount of water and pigment used, but the Inktense Antique White is very opaque; great for highlights.
The Inktense pencil has a 4mm core with a round barrel.
Derwent Inktense Pencils have 71 colours plus 1 outliner pencil. Derwent Inktense Blocks have 72 colours in total and the Derwent Paint Pan Sets have 24 colours between 2 Pan sets.
Inktense is pigment based but it's unique formulation produces vibrant colours and washes.
87% of the range is lightfast, however once water is added, lightfastness ratings will be different depending on how much each colour is diluted. If you are looking to keep your Inktense art for as long as possible, we advise you keep your artwork out of direct sunlight.
The blocks and pencils are made using different binders and wax blends, which will affect the lightfastness rating for each colour.
It is classed as a watercolour product but it has different properties to a regular watercolour pencil, making it look like an ink.
All our pencils are gluten free and free from wheat allergens and dextrin.
Our Inktense collection contain no animal derived materials/ingredients but we cannot guarantee that the raw materials were not tested on animals.
We have a white pencil, Inktense Antique White, in our Inktense range as it can be used to highlight your artwork or be used on black paper to really pop!
The dipped ends are matched to the washed-out colour rather than the dry pencil core, so colours will slightly differ.
Yes you can grate the Inktense Blocks. Mix the shavings with water and create an ink-like solution.
Yes, Derwent’s Inktense Pencil range has been formulated to be compatible with other Derwent pencil ranges.
Our Derwent Inktense Pencils works well with our Super Point range.
The paint wells in all of our blocks tin can be used to mix the blocks with water to create an ink-like solution, adding to the versatility of this product.
Ready to shop for Inktense products?